What is NaNoWriMo YWP?
National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) is an international writing marathon where writers around the world challenge themselves to write a lengthy work of fiction in the 30 days of November. NaNoWriMo is for everyone, even the adults, but we also love to involve young writers so we have the Young Writers Program (YWP) for writers up to 17 years of age.
Young writers get to set their own target word count, write frequently, join friends, and share the experience with the NaNoWriMo YWP community.
It’s easy and free to register for NaNoWriMo YWP on the Web: http://ywp.nanowrimo.org
NaNoWriMo: A History
NaNoWriMo first began with just 26 adult participants in 1999. Adult participants are challenged to write 50,000 words in 30 days and many of those first participants reached their goal. Since then NaNoWriMo has grown to more than 500,000 writers around the world. Last year over 2000 classrooms took part with more than 100,000 students and teachers involved.
In 2014, Western Australian writers wrote 9,036,094 words!
This year we’re supported by local libraries and schools across ten council districts.
Why NaNo Rocks For Writers!
- You’ll create cool characters and get them into all sorts of trouble, then write their way out of it! You’re in control and you decide how your story will unfold.
- Writing makes you feel awesome! It’s a really amazing way to share your thoughts, feelings, ideas and interests.
- You’ll have even more fun with writing prompts, dares, word wars, and more. Challenge yourself, or challenge your friends and fellow writers!
- Get epic goodies just for participating.
- Winners get 5 free* paperback copies of their book! Imagine your book on your bookshelf at home or at school!
What is OzNoWriMo?
So, now you know all about NaNoWriMo, you're wondering what on earth is OzNoWriMo. OzNoWriMo is all of this NaNo awesomeness, but closer to home! It's pretty cool to be part of an international marathon and it can be great to make friends from all around the world, but what's even more fun is having a chance to get to know other writers who live near you. OzNoWriMo connects young writers with other local writers and offers local writing events and workshops. OzNoWriMo is all about supporting and encouraging Western Australian young writers and educators by bringing them together and giving them access to fantastic resources so they can have even more fun writing.
Want to join us this November? There are three things you should do!
- Sign up to our mailing list so you'll get updates in the coming months and always know the latest news about OzNoWriMo.
- Download the information flyer to help walk you through signing up, and feel free to share this with your friends.
- Register as a young writer or educator on the NaNoWriMo YWP website and create or join your classroom (or the WA Young Writers classroom (Code: TREVFEKT )).
What are you waiting for? Get started now! Or, if you have questions feel free to browse the website or contact Rebecca Laffar-Smith, the program coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
* Shipping not included.